Report of DSG Ruth E. Hook, investigatingofficer at the scene.

I was notified by the dispatcherthat a teenaged girl had been found unconscious or dead by the side of SarrettAvenue near Henderson Drive at 8:15 pm on June 3rd. I proceeded immediatelyto the location. When I arrived the victim was still lying by the road,attended by the man who had made the 911 call on his cellular telephone,Mr. Frederick Sladowski. Based on the victim's injuries, the location ofthe body, and other evidence at the scene, I concluded that the victim hadmost likely been struck by an automobile and killed. The emergency medicaltechnicians (Loretta Renquist and Martin Pendal) arrived soon after andconfirmed that the girl was deceased. I was able to take a few photographsof the scene before the victim was removed entirely. I requested backupfrom the dispatcher. Renquist and Pendal transported the victim to AllenMemorial Hospital where she was officially pronounced dead.

Sarrett Road runs roughly north-south in the vicinity of the accident.The victim was lying on the west shoulder of Sarrett Road when I arrived,and according to Mr. Sladowski, was in much the same position as she hadbeen when he arrived. A large cornfield is located to the west of the road;there is a residential area to the east. Several signs around the cornfieldindicated that the area had been recently sprayed with atrazine herbicide.Several pieces of broken glass were found near, under, and on the clothingof the victim. Her green shirt had been torn slightly, and it was evidentthat she had been run over by an automobile. Tire tracks were present inthe sand near the body, but had been disturbed by footprints. These footprintswere determined to belong to Mr. Sladowski, Ms. Renquist, Mr. Pendal andme, as we had unavoidably made marks while attempting to assist the victim.I have submitted the glass and samples from her clothing to the crime labfor analysis. I took a statement from Mr. Sladowski at the scene.

While the other emergency personnel and I were working at the crime scene,a Mrs. Sarah Ferris approached us. She was worried because her sixteen-year-olddaughter had left their home minutes before Mrs. Ferris heard our sirens.I escorted Mrs. Ferris to Allen Memorial Hospital, where she positivelyidentified the victim as her daughter, Rebecca Ferris. I took a statementfrom her at the hospital as she preferred to give it immediately ratherthan wait. I also contacted her husband, who was out of town on business,and requested that he fly home immediately.

After finishing at the hospital, I returned to the station, where PatrolmanPatrick Grove brought to my attention the fact that a man had been stoppedunder suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol about three orfour miles from the site of the accident. Grove pulled him over a littleafter eight o'clock on June 3rd, at which time he failed a standardizedfield sobriety test and was transported to the station to be subjected toa blood alcohol test. The results of the blood alcohol test have not yetreturned from the lab, but I questioned the man, Mr. Bradley Kimmer, onthe morning of the fourth, in hopes that his answers might prove relevantto the case. His statement is attached. I also took the opportunity of examiningthe exterior of Mr. Kimmer's car and found a small scrap of fabric caughtin the front bumper. I discovered that the right front headlight of thevehicle had been broken, and took a sample of glass from it.

On June4th I began a phone canvass of mechanics in the Newtown-Oberlinarea in search of cars brought in to have glass replaced. This resultedin primarily negative results, but Keith Becker of Ammon Automotive reportedthat one vehicle had been brought in that morning with a broken windshield.The owner of the minivan is a Mr. Peter Andrew Bredon. I went to Ammon Automotiveto collect a glass sample from the vehicle. At the same time I also conducteda visual inspection of the exterior of the minivan and the portions of theinterior that were visible from the windows. I found a small scrap of lightgreen fabric caught in the minivan's bumper. There was no obvious damageto the vehicle besides the broken windshield. Inside the vehicle I saw aplastic bag containing white powder which I suspected was an illegal drug.A sample from this bag has been submitted for analysis. I also took statementsfrom Keith Becker at Ammon Automotive and Peter Bredon at the Oberlin PoliceStation. I left word with all the mechanics to whom I spoke to notify meif any more vehicles with broken glass were brought in for repairs.

When I returned from Ammon Automotive I returned a telephone call toMiss Simone Argones, a student who attends the same high school as the victim.She reported that she had hit Rebecca Ferris with her car last night andwanted to come to the police station to make her statement. I took a statementfrom her and examined the car she was driving the night before. Her carhas a broken front right headlight from which I took a small glass sample.I also found a large number of green fibers caught in the broken headlamp.I have submitted the glass and fabric for examination.

After interviewing Miss Argones, I visited the home of Miss Nora Okampa,the friend whom the victim had been going to see when she was struck andkilled. Miss Okampa confirmed that the victim had not reached her housethat evening, and informed me of the possibility that the victim had recentlybegun to use illegal drugs. I then requested the crime lab to analyze thevictim's blood for drugs and/or alcohol in addition to the other analysesI submitted.